Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Large Omniball

I'm planning on making my R2 2-3-2. I would like to use the large omniball rather than the three small omniballs to help with moving my R2 along uneven surfaces, so told Moose I would buy his large omniball. I have two problems: 1) the height of the omniball and 2) the rocking of the center foot while R2 is moving.

4.124" - Inside Center Foot Clearance (Channel To Foot Base)
1.472" - Wheel Clearance (Foot Base To Ground; Measured Using Dan Baker Plans For The Outer Feet)
5.596" - Total Usable Space (From Center Foot Channel To Ground)

5.750" - Large Omniball Height
1.000" - Large Omniball Mounting Bolt
6.750" - Total Omniball Height

1.154" - Height Difference

After a suggestion from Moose, I looked for old posts to see how to reduce the large omniball height by going through the main board's post history. I found r2dude’s post on AstromechBuilder.com and I think I’m going to use this method as a starting point. It will remove the 1" bolt height, but I would still have to contend with about a 1/4" to 1/2" difference (once adding a mounting plate) between the outer and inner foot shells' to ground clearances.

Jason suggested I use an ankle wedge if I decide not to do a 2-3-2 R2. I can probably use a single rear wedge for a 2-3-2 R2 to prevent rocking when R2 is moving forward, but there is still the problem of R2 moving backwards or turning abruptly. I haven't given up yet. I will continue to look for methods to stop the rocking using 2-3-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment