Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dome Topper Panels/Details

I've been debating with how to do the top dome detail. I decided to used a washer and door hinge pin.


I decided to use a 3 1/2" Satin Brass pin because it has the head size I was looking for. I drilled out the dome top panel and the inner dome top just large enough to push the pin shaft through.


I then decided to use a 1/17 x 0.98 Brass washer because it provided the correct thickness, overall diameter, and gap between it and the hinge pin. I placed the washer around the hinge pin and traced it.


I then used a Dremel to remove the styrene from the dome panel. I wrapped sand paper around a wine bottle so I could slowly sand the hole larger (while keeping a perfect circle) until the gap between the washer and the styrene panel matched the rest of the dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment