Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Center Leg Support

I needed a change of pace tonight so I decided to work on the center leg supports. I cut a piece of 3/4" plastic down to 5 1/2" x 12" to use as the sliding plate and then dry fit it to make sure I had enough room for it to move between the side supports of the frame.


I then cut to two 5 1/2" boards to sandwich the plastic and act as top and bottom anchors for the four sliding rods.


Moose and I then lined up the sides of all the boards and clamped them so we could drill holes through all three boards. That way they would all match and we wouldn't have to worry about the center plate binding when the center foot raises and lowers.


The top plate will be slightly below the center outer leg pipe and the bottom plate will rest base of the frame. We temporarily screwed the bottom board into the frame base plate (I will replace it later with bolts) and dry fit the remaining boards. The hole size is perfect for the top and bottom plates, but I will have to make the holes in the plastic plate a little larger to allow it to slide easier. As with framing a door, the center of the bottom board will be cut out once the sides are permanently attached.


The four rods were not cut and the top board was not permanently attached because I want to get the skirt installed and the center leg assembled to determine the exact location everything needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment