Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dome Cutting

I started cutting my dome tonight. Clay suggested I use a Dremel to start the cut and finish off with a jigsaw at it's lowest speed. I didn't have access to a Dremel so I decided to use a drill with the smallest drill bit I could find. I drilled a series of pilot holes in a line big enough for the saw blade to fit. I then used a razor blade to cut the styrene pieces between the holes so the saw blade would fit. I was worried about breaking the styrene when I cutting so I decided to use a hand saw. The worst part of this method was it was loud and it drove my brother's dog nuts. It was a slow process and I had to do it by myself because the dog left the room. I was pretty happy with the results, and it will look even better when I sand the edges a little.

1 comment:

  1. I have a panel cutting tool that holds saw blades only at one end that you can use.
    It works great for long straight cuts.

    ReplyDelete